The Frederica Difference
Frederica Academy provides its students with a rigorous college preparatory education that integrates all subjects, including the arts, in a cooperative learning environment. A challenging education requires that students and teachers have high standards and expectations, that the process is as important as the product, that students are taught to make connections across disciplines, that in order for learning to take place students may be pushed outside their comfort zones, and that failure and mistakes are an essential part of learning. Rigor at Frederica is characterized by the pursuit of ideas, rather than an emphasis on grades, memorization, excessive homework, or competition with others as a measure of one's own success.
In short, Frederica provides an environment, which is academically challenging, intellectually stimulating, and respectful, while remaining a place where students feel safe enough to become risk-takers and are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities in reasonable measure at appropriate levels.
Stimulating, thought-provoking inquiry is not reserved for older students at Frederica. It begins, rather, in Lower School with teaching that is based on active discovery and a careful cultivation of excitement and wonder in learning about the world.
Rigor at Frederica is characterized by the pursuit of ideas. This active pursuit continues in the Middle School with a curriculum that insists on mastery of essential content and skills in the context of solving challenging problems and addressing provocative questions. Service learning heightens students' awareness of the needs of others.
Vigorous, intellectual exploration expands in the Upper School as students are guided to hone their skills in making connections in a wider world. An expanded global outlook challenges students to be aware of and to understand other cultures in a deeply meaningful way as part of the school's mission to develop the habit of ethical thinking and moral behavior.
At Frederica Academy, our goal is to provide the rigorous curriculum, proper environment and personal encouragement that each student needs to help him or her achieve academic excellence. To that end we strive to:
- Maintain optimal student/teacher ratios. (Currently FA student/teacher ratios are: Lower School 9:1, Middle School 16:1, Upper School 11:1)
- Continually assess the curriculum and its relevance in preparing all students to be tomorrow’s problem solvers and to be fully prepared for college and adult life in an increasingly interconnected and changing world.
- Leverage technology to facilitate and enhance optimal learning.
- Capitalize on area strengths and incorporate into curriculum (e.g. coastal resources). Support criteria and expand the resources for the Academic Center.
- Continue to educate and advise students and parents about the college admission process by concentrating on the importance of standardized test preparation, Upper School course selection, the maintenance of grades, and reaching students’ academic potential.
- Develop and refine our early childhood program to maintain its excellence in current practices and to integrate methods which reflect research in education and brain development for the young learner, Pre-K through First Grade.
- Bolster our counseling programs across all three divisions. Bolster our testing programs across all three divisions.
- Maintain strategic role of Media Center and expand its capabilities to better meet the evolving needs of its users.
The success of our academic program speaks for itself. We maintain a 100% college acceptance rate for 100% of our seniors year after year, evidence that our academic program serves our students well as they move on to college careers at institutions appropriate to their skills and interests, including some of our nation’s most selective schools.